Sunday, January 24, 2010
Review of The Green Market's Sustainable Stock Portfolios and Future Prospects
With the aim of helping investors see the value of sustainable stock, The Green Market has been charting the performance of stock in 3 renewable energy sectors and 2 energy efficiency sectors. The 3 renewable energy sectors are Solar, Wind and Geothermal, and the 2 energy efficiency sectors are (smart) grid and lighting. In January of last year, The Green Market posted 5 sustainable portfolios. Here are the results for The Green Market's sustainable stock in 2009.
Firms like Canadian Solar soared last year and The Green Market's solar stock portfolio outperformed the market's strong growth for much of 2009. However, Canadian Solar is not the only sustainable stock that surged in 2009. Here are 4 of the top performing sustainable stocks for 2009:
- EnerNOC gained 286 percent
- Cree Inc., averaged gained 250 percent
- Western Wind Energy gained 246 percent
- Nevada Geothermal Power gained 220 percent
The Green Market's 5 sustainable stock portfolios turned in the following performances in 2009:
- Wind stock portfolio averaged gains of 110 percent
- Energy efficient lighting stocks portfolio averaged gains of 100 percent
- Solar stock portfolio averaged gains of 64 percent
- (Smart) grid stocks portfolio averaged gains of 61 percent
- Geothermal stock portfolio averaged gains of 61 percent
As an average across all 5 portfolios, The Green Market's sustainable stock gained almost 80 percent in 2009. If we see a carbon trading bill passed in the US in 2010, the performance of sustainable stock will grow exponentially.
Even without legislation, the new EPA promises strong regulatory support, particularly with regard to air and water. Renewables and efficiency are the future, whether through legislation or regulation there is a an unavoidable logic driving the value of sustainable stock.
Sustainable Investing and Long Term Thinking
Solar Stock Review and Future Prospects
Wind Stock Review and Future Prospects
Geothermal Stock Review and Future Prospects
Energy Efficient (Smart) Grid Stock Review and Future Prospects
Energy Efficient Lighting Stock Review and Future Prospects