Monday, August 6, 2012
Queens College Sustainability Plan
1. Energy: A sustainable student residence and an addition to Remsen that incorporated energy efficiency measures. They are currently engaged in several studies of their buildings that will provide recommendations for energy efficient retrofits for building upgrades. They are working towards to have a solar project and a green roof. They are also working on a menu of energy savings projects in their energy audit of their facilities and they plan to implement any that are financially feasible. New equipment is evaluated in terms of its energy-efficiency. With adequate funding, their goal is to replace all of their outdoor lighting with either LED or induction lighting.
2. Water: They are focused on bathroom retro fits to save water including water-efficient toilet flushes and sensor activated sink faucets. They have a long-term goal of having some type of “grey water” project.
3. Transportation: They have Zip Cars, the car sharing vendor, on campus. They will continue to expand the percentage of our fleet that is either electric or hybrid. They will also create incentives for the use of alternative transportation, like biking, public transportation, and car pooling
4. Recycling/Source Reduction: They will reduce the total amount of waste produced and expand the percentage of the waste that is recycled. They will continue to use technology to reduce their use of paper, moving more or their processes and communication online. They will examine the amount of printing and copying and reduce their consumption. Their dining services will explore composting.
5. Procurement: They are now purchasing paper that has 100% recycled content for copying. They will expand the percentage of products that are “green”. They will continue to use “cradle to grave” sustainable products, like carpeting that has recycled elements and is recyclable at the end of its life cycle. They will engage in a mail initiative to reduce the amount of unwanted mail that comes to the campus.
6. Sustainable Nutrition: They have signed a 10 year contract with Chartwells, their food vendor that incorporates sustainable practices and goals including using “green” service ware, local sourcing, and recycling.
7. Education and Outreach: They will continue their education and outreach efforts through a website, ‘green” events and other means. They will increase student, faculty, and staff engagement. They will increase the number of courses they offer that have an environmental focus. Their faculty will continue the important research they are doing on environmental topics.
© 2012, Richard Matthews. All rights reserved.
Queens College Sustainability Mission
Queens College Residence has a LEED Gold Rating
Early History of Sustainability at Queens College
Green Roofs on College Campuses Around the World